Credit card usage
Activity at our churches is ramping back up, and as activity picks up, so do purchases and expenditures. That means it is probably a good time to revisit, or perhaps, implement card use procedures and controls. There are several examples of fraud and embezzlement taking place at churches because of lax or nonexistent controls being in place and being used. If your church has a credit card(s) or is considering acquiring one, I have several resources available on controls and best practices for using credit cards as a part of your church treasury function.
News from the Board of Pensions
The Board of Pensions will offer a one-hour webinar, Investing with Your Values, on Thursday, May 12 at 2 p.m. ET.
Are you interested in investing in environmental, social, and governance (ESG) funds, either in your retirement savings or personal investment account? Would you like to understand the benefits, risks, and trends of ESG investing? Join Peter Maher, Managing Director and Vice President, Investments, Board of Pensions, and Beth Rutkowski, Assistant Director, Income Security, Board of Pensions, in a panel discussion on ESG investing and practical tips on how to invest in ESG through the Retirement Savings Plan of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), offered by the Board of Pensions and administered by Fidelity Investments. Register now.
Stewardship Kaleidoscope: Sept. 26-28
Registration is open for this year’s Stewardship Kaleidoscope, featuring more than 30 workshops spanning theology, practical stewardship planning, creative ventures, and legacy programming. Register and explore stewardship in its many colorful dimensions!
Employment Guidance for Sessions and Session Personnel Committees
From the most recent Mid Council Relations newsletter:
Have the sessions in your presbytery looked recently at their personnel processes and policies? You might want to share with them this guide, which explores topics such as hiring and oversight of staff, roles of various individuals and groups in the process, and compliance with civil law, with reflections on Presbyterian theological perspective and our commitment to equity and inclusion. It is designed for congregations of all sizes.
Note that the resource includes a link to a feedback form through which users can submit comments and suggest improvements. We will value the questions and observations of users as we seek to keep this document current and helpful.
2022 IRS Standard Mileage
On December 17, 2021, the IRS announced the following changes to the standard mileage rates. As of January 1, 2022, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups, or panel trucks) is:
- 58.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, up from 56 cents for 2021
- 18 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, up from 16 cents for 2021
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
2022 Per Capita
The 2022 Per Capita rate is $30.05 per member, according to the church’s membership in the most recently file statistical report. The 2022 Per Capita was approved at the August 2021 presbytery meeting. With the total rate at $30.05 per member, the Presbytery of West Virginia will keep $18.67, sending $8.98 and $2.40 to the General Assembly and Synod of the Trinity, respectively.
Helping us understand the importance of Per Capita to our connectional church is this excellent article, titled (coincidentally enough) “Understanding Per Capita,” in a recent issue of Presbyterians Today.
2022 Special Offerings Calendar
Here is this year’s calendar for the four churchwide Special Offerings of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
PENTECOST: April 18 to June 5
Psalm 71 testifies that a foundation of faith established during childhood helps ensure lifelong faith and service. The patterns and lessons established during these formative years continue to bear fruit throughout a person’s life. By receiving the Pentecost Offering, you are nurturing the faith of those who are the church to come: children, youth, and young adults. A gift to the Pentecost Offering helps the church encourage, develop, and support its young people, and also address the needs of at-risk children. 40% of the Pentecost offering can be retained by individual congregations wanting to make an impact in the lives of young people within their own community. The remaining 60% is used to support children-at-risk, youth, and young adults through ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency. Click here for more information and resources.
PEACE & GLOBAL WITNESS: Sept. 4 to Oct. 2
CHRISTMAS JOY: Nov. 27 to Dec. 18
NOTE: Donations to these offerings are accepted at any time. The dates above are for times of special emphasis on the offerings. Click here for more information or to order resources, or call the PC(USA) Store at 800-533-4371.